No one would argue that when we want to conceive, we also want to be as healthy as we can be. We need to be eating and digesting well, doing an appropriate amount of exercise, resting adequately and managing stress. Basically, we want to be doing everything we can to create an optimal environment for healthy cells and balanced hormones. Exactly the same can be said for those of us with gynaecological or urological complaints but no desire to currently concceive.
How does this translate into a modern acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine clinic with a passion for working with fertility and reproductive health issues?
It is important to understand that Jodi is trained to look at you within a Chinese medicine framework. Essentially, as a unique individual with a set of signs and symptoms which indicate disharmony or an imbalance in your overall state of wellness. According to Chinese medicine, this imbalance may potentially have detrimental impacts on your health, including that of the reproductive system or fertility.
So, get comfy and settle in for a host of questions about your entire system and each aspect of your health - body, mind and spirit. Jodi wants to know all the glorious details:
- How is your digestion and what and when do you eat and drink?
- How is your sleep quality and quantity?
- How is your energy level and does it drop or feel excessive at particular times?
- How is your emotional well-being and stress levels? Do you get/take time to effectively relax and recharge?
- How is your lifestyle - now and historically? Do you exercise? Smoke? Work shifts or FIFO? Get exposed to lots of toxins or other endocrine disrupters in your work or home?
- How is your libido and sex life? Do you understand your fertile window timing?
- Have you any medical diagnoses or take any medications, herbal prescriptions or supplements?
- Are there any health complaints from your childhood or past? Or a family history of any significant health concerns?
Man or woman, it’s otherwise all about the fluids:
- Ladies, how is your menstrual cycle? Fertile mucous changes throughout, regularity, length, duration, blood quality/quantity, spotting, pain, breast changes, pms?
- Guys, do you have semen quality issues within one or more parameter of count, motility, morphology, volume or DNA fragmentation?
Disharmonies identified through careful and comprehensive questioning and observations like this, lead Jodi to your Chinese medicine diagnosis. It is this diagnosis, grounded in modern understanding, that now guides your individualised treatment plan. This may involve any or all of:
- Acupuncture - including treatments timed to your menstrual cycle, fertile window or sperm collection
- Chinese herbal medicine
- Temperature charting - how to do and what it all means
- Nutritional and lifestyle advice and adjustments
Whilst Jodi will certainly have a detailed understanding and interest in any medical diagnosis (such as endometriosis, PCOS, or sperm issues) you have been given, please understand that it is not at the heart of your Chinese medicine diagnosis or treatment. Nor is it meant to replace it.
The preconception and fertility support program offered at Moxa would ideally work with couples or individuals weekly for at least three months. There is naturally flexibility within this to suit your requirements. Three months is:
- Time to establish an understanding of any patterns in the menstrual cycle which may emerge from temperature charting and prolonged and careful observation
- The maturation cycle of sperm
- Time to begin seeing the impact of treatment as well as nutritional and lifestyle changes on health and wellbeing
I have issues with the health of my reproductive system but no desire to have a baby right now. What about me?
You're still in the right place! If you don't currently wish to conceive but still have concerns with symptoms of your reproductive system like menstrual pain or conditions like endometriosis or PCOS, an appropriately adjusted version of this program is a good place to start.
For further information on other programs, please select from below:
- IUI, ICSI and IVF Support
- Pregnancy Care and Labour Preparation
- Post-Natal Care
- Fertility and Reproductive Health
Still some questions? You are most welcome to enquire with us further for more personalised information as to how we may be able to assist your specific situation.
It is important, as a registered acupuncture and Chinese medicine practitioner, to adhere to advertising guidelines and to not make claims about treatment that cannot be comprehensively proven by research. As such, the information provided here is not attempting to make a therapeutic claim about an ability to cure or treat fertility issues or infertility. Again, what Jodi is aiming to do when using fertility acupuncture and herbal medicine, is to address your unique pattern of signs and symptoms which she has used to formulate your Chinese medicine diagnosis. Jodi is working within a Chinese medicine framework, bolstered by her modern understanding of health and medicine. She does not aim to replace or supersede any medical diagnosis or prescribed treatment but instead to consider this and work alongside it in a supportive manner.
There is certainly a wealth of research being conducted by modern scholars of Chinese medicine. Currently, evidence for fertility acupuncture is unclear. In Jodi’s opinion, this does not negate the rich history of Chinese medicine in the fields of gynaecology, fertility, or sterility but simply highlights that to date, research has not reached the breadth or quality necessary for a robust systematic review to be published.